Rededication of the Village War with Mexico Monument
In October of 1848, a ten-foot-tall white marble obelisk was installed in the Village Cemetery. The monument was dedicated to four area volunteer soldiers who perished in the US War with Mexico. A group of interested historians and enthusiasts gathered to rededicated this monument with an event similar to the 1848 ceremonies. In mid-June of this year, the monument was disassembled, releveled, and reassembled. At the same time, the purported time capsule within the monument was retrieved. Unfortunately, after 175 years, the time capsule and its contents were not viable.
On October 22nd at 2:000 PM, a small parade will form in the school’s Garrett Road parking lot and travel into the cemetery, ending in the area of the monument. A rededication ceremony, including music, speakers, reading of student essays, and the installation of a new time capsule will take place. Please join us in this memorial event. After the events at the cemetery, we will gather at Brookside Museum for light refreshments and conversation.